Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Empty Can Rattles the Most

There's this saying "the empty can rattles the most." I never realized until last night how apt it could possibly be.

Okay, a brief background. In my sitio, I am the vice president of the youth council. Technically this year you could say I'm the de facto president because the actual president is so inutile and deserves to be castrated. He always wants to have someone by his side when doing something and chooses to postpone it if I'm not available most of the times due to circumstances beyond my control. As a result, he is stagnant. Anyway, since our fiesta is starting, we have started planning the activities two weeks ago. He and I were supposed to be jointly in charge of Activity No. 1, "Mr. Pogi" but no, he chose not to coordinate because he wants me to go knocking on his door to solicit his help. I had so much to think of to even do that, including my work.

I happened to be already cynical and pissed off at his style so I went one-man army in organizing the event. Lol, just kidding. I was busy organizing the first event since last week, assigning the activities to a few people as sub-chairpersons. So, it went like this: I assigned one youngster here as in-charge of recruiting people who'll participate as contestants, and assigned my cousin as in-charge of the decoration. I decided to busy myself preparing the CDs and other media that the contestants and guest participants need to pull off their numbers because that's where I'm good at. I even had to remix a few songs for some kids who were going to be guest dancers last night.

All in all, it was a success. Everyone had fun. I had fun myself. Nobody except the participants and the ones who helped organize the event knew that I was the overall chairman. I refused to have my name publicly credited because I've always hated being put in the spotlight. It's as if I'm working only for credit, which I am not. I just worked at it because I had to.

What I realized last night, is that no matter what you do, there will always be feedback from people. Positive feedbacks are welcome, yet negative comments are always invited. The funny thing in life is that the negatives always come from those that never had a hand in the organization. They're the prima donnas of the night; they just prefer to sit back and nitpick at a few mistakes as if they have the right to. However, they have no one to direct it to because I was basically a shadow organizer: I worked behind the scenes.

Lesson learned: People, typically most Filipinos, will always want things to work their way without exerting the effort needed to get that goal. In my case, it was these people's inability to assist or even volunteer to help in order to arrive at the event they wanted to. Which would have been impossible: people have different opinions as well. As for me, I'm glad I approached the right persons who were all helpful in the organizing of the event.

And to those that just rattled without helping: SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS.

No comments: